Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Light for the last rose


les rayons ultimes, originally uploaded by farmboyz.

C took this photo of my regret about the passing of summer, while we waited for the elevator in our building.
Because I think "derniers" carries the sense of "next" sometimes, I don't want to refer to this as "Les derniers rayons de l'ete", or even "Les rayons derniers de l'ete". I suppose "Les rayons finals de l'ete" would be clear, but I really like "Les rayons ultimes de l'ete". Anyway, the summer sun has left milky white chevrons on top of my feet where it could not penetrate the skin shielded by the straps of my flip flops. I dread the entombment of my feet into winter shoes. Any French scholars with opinions?

3 comments:

Will said...

ou sont les rayons d'antan?

bj said...

sandals in Manhattan??? ok, i'll be nice...

Tony Adams said...

They're not sandals, Beeejhh. The are Flip-Flops. Quite acceptable, even at the Eagle, where I've worn my black leather ones.