Thursday, October 27, 2005

Our children


DSC02259, originally uploaded by farmboyz.

Ten years ago, C tossed me a fun assignment. He had a client who wanted some "wild art" for their corporate headquarters in Connecticut. In those days, I was totally absorbed with Photoshop which was not the yawn it is today. Nine hours playing with Photoshop felt to me like five minutes.

I met with the VP assigned to design the work space. He told me that I could do anything I wanted to do except that he didn't want any photos of "men blowing dogs". I told him that restriction would eliminate three quarters of my portfolio. We laughed and I knew we'd be OK.

C installed about a dozen different floor-to-ceiling images. This one is my favorite. It is a composite of photos of gargoyles from the Southam Building in Montreal, a background that is a close-up of the root ball from a Clivia that we were transplanting, a building we loved in the Jardin de Luxembourg in Paris, and some hydrangeas from the farm. I was particularly ecstatic when I managed to "light" the tops of the columns of the building which were actually a dull verdigris, and to create an artificial smoke and glow from inside the building.

These photos were taken last week. I was surprised that the restless and clever employees of this software company had not doctored or defaced the images over the past ten years. No changes in ten years, right down to the furniture placement. The images still entertain in a way that makes words on a screen seem as dry and ephemeral as maple leaves decomposing underfoot on a busy sidewalk..

7 comments:

R J Keefe said...

This is a great success, very entertaining indeed. I suppose there's furniture up against part of the wall by now. Something to clothe that nacked socket.

tornwordo said...

Well, you're words never seem dry to me. Great art!

Adam said...

Unfortunate that the socket has to be there. Great photo though. It certainly conjures up remnants of my catholic guilt which kind of makes me want to look away but the grotesqueness of it hypnotizes me.

Helen the Felon said...

I'm pretty sure I know the gargoyle on the right.

Mark said...

Of course, I like the power outlet exactly where it is.

JMG said...

I'm with Helen. I think that gargoyle on the right is the one that followed me around the West Side Club on my final visit 3 years ago.

Nathan said...

Wow, that's stunning!